Queso is an American Mexican cheese dip. Made with a base of flour, butter and milk, it is seasoned with classic mexican spices and later a blend of assorted cheese’s is added to make this delicious cheese dip. It is served with chips, nachos and even fries.
Tip: It is very important to keep in mind to not cook the cheese rather melt it in the warm white sauce base.
If you live in a country where pepper jack or white cheddar are not available, you may increase the quantity of cheddar cheese and use just 1 cheese. Please do not use mozzarella cheese.
QuesoCourse: AppetizersCuisine: Mexican
1 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Flour
1⁄2 Cup Milk
1⁄4 Cup Fresh shredded mild chedder
1⁄4 Cup Fresh shredded pepper jack Substitute with best option
1⁄4 Cup Fresh shredded white chedder
1⁄4 Tsp Roasted cumin and coriander powder
1⁄4 Tsp Paprika
2 Tbsp Hot Salsa
Salt to taste
- In a sauce pan heat butter, to this add flour and whisk until it changes color.
- To this add milk and keep whisking until warm and there are no lumps.
- Turn off the heat and add all the cheese’s and continuously keep whisking until the sauce comes together.
- If the sauce is too thick, add a little warm milk to make it to your desired consistency.
- Add the seasonings and the salsa, mix and serve immediately with a side of chips.
- It is very important to remember to not cook the cheese. It will curdle, separate and your cheese sauce will be grainy. Remember to turn off the heat before you add the cheese to the white sauce.