Everyone needs a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe and this is the only one you will ever need. This recipe requires a few simple ingredients and you will be biting into the most delicious and gooey chocolate chip cookies ever. I prefer to use chopped baking chocolate bar or chocolate chunks in this recipe but you can definitely use classic chocolate chips. It’s best if all the ingredients are on room temperature for a silkier cookie dough.
Tips & Tricks:
You can bake the cookies right away if you prefer but it’s best to chill the dough for at least 2 hours or overnight for a delicious soft cookie on the inside and crispy on the outside. Make cookie dough balls with a 2 tbsp measuring spoon and refrigerate it. Use dark brown sugar for the best color but light brown sugar works as well. Make sure the baking soda and baking powder are both fresh otherwise the cookies won’t rise properly.
Do not melt butter, make sure its softend on its own, room temperature butter will cream with the sugar for a really nice cookie dough. When I first started making cookies I always used packaged chocolate chips because because that’s what all the recipes suggested, the more time I started spending in the kitchen baking, I realized that it’s best to use a bar of chocolate because it melts better than packaged chocolate chips because they are coated in preservatives so they don’t melt and stick together if the temperature fluctuates.
For best results use it is best to use a baking chocolate bar. I like to use three fourths cup of semi sweet and half a cup of dark chocolate bar but you can use milk chocolate only or semi sweet plus milk chocolate. It doesn’t matter what combination of chocolate chips you use, the end results is always delicious. I like how the dark chocolate balances the sweetness in the cookies but if you have a sweet tooth stick to milk chocolate or semi sweet.
The secret to getting even thickness on the cookies and the perfect chewy on the inside and crispy edges is to remove the baking pan from the oven at 10 minute mark and tap the cookie tray gently on the counter top a few times to deflate the cookies. This act will deflate all the cookies to even thickness, then place the cookie tray back in the oven and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes and remove from the oven. Place the tray on the counter until the cookies are cool to touch. I personally like to enjoy them hot out of the oven because honestly nothing is better than gooey chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do and it becomes a staple in your household. Don’t forget to leave a comment below.
Chocolate Chip CookiesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Fresh and gooey chocolate chip cookies.
1 stick (1/2 cup) Butter softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 cup and 2 tablespoons milk chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugars in a mixing bowl. Mix in the egg, and then the vanilla until combined.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Portion 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie and space the dough balls 2 inches apart on the baking sheet and refrigerate for 2 hours before baking for best results.
- Press the remaining chocolate chips or chunks on top of the cookies and bake.
- Remove half baked cookies from the oven, make a small hole in the center and fill with Nutella and pop back in the oven to finish cooking. (Optional)
- Bake until the edges just start to brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serving suggestions
- Enjoy warm with a cold glass of milk!
- For the skillet: double the batch, press half dough on the bottom of the skillet, pour 1/2 cup warmed Nutella on the dough and spread evenly. Now press the remaining dough on top of the Nutella and bake for 20-25 depending on the size of your skillet.