Frontier chicken is a spicy, tangy tomato based gravy with peppers and onions. It gets its name from the area of Pakistan its popular in, which is the northwest or the frontier of Pakistan. It’s especially popular at the highway dhabas (truck stops). Frontier chicken is more popular in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom versus other Pakistani areas because Karahi is what rules the entire country from the northern areas of Pakistan. However, if you notice that both Frontier chicken and Karahi are tomato based gravies and don’t use onion as the base at all which is the signature of the northern Pakistani area cuisine.
Frontier chicken can be served with naan, or rice and on the second day i turn it into frontier chicken fried rice, which is literally bomb!! It freshens up the leftovers beautifully and you can tell your kids you made a completely new meal, win win!!
The recipe video is already on my igtv https://www.instagram.com/tv/B8MzMKJpuxs/
Frontier ChickenCourse: Main courseCuisine: Pakistani, IndianDifficulty: easy
Tangy spicy tomato based chicken dish from the Frontier region of Pakistan.
1 lb boneless chicken (50:50) mixed thigh and breast meat
3 tbsp Shan chicken tikka masala
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 ½ tbsp roasted cumin and coriander powder
½ tsp garam masala
1/8 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp salt
½ cup bell pepper cubes
½ cup onion cubes
1 jalapeno sliced
2 small skinless tomatoes chopped
Cilantro for garnish
¼ cup water
3 tbsp oil
- Marinate chicken in salt, shan chicken tikka masala, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice, garam masala, roasted cumin and coriander powder, cumin seeds and turmeric for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok and quickly stir fry bell pepper and onion cubes on high heat, 30 seconds. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp oil and stir fry the marinated chicken until it changes color.
- Add the tomato paste, mix well, and add the tomatoes and water. Mix well, cover the wok and let the steam cook the tomatoes, around 10 minutes on low flame.
- Once the tomatoes have cooked down, the oil will separate from the gravy. Add the jalapenos and stir fried bell peppers and onions and mix well and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with naan or rice.