This chicken ramen noodle soup is perfect for winter, its hearty and comforting and with notes of floral sezchewan peppercorn, sweet cinnamon, licorice fennel and star anise its a tongue teaser for sure. The sezchewan chili oil is the cherry on top and elevates this simple soup to the next level. Whether you choose to amp up the soup with the chili oil or not, its a crowd pleaser no matter how you prefer it. It’s a labor of love and a few extra steps but totally worth it in the end. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Chicken Ramen Noodle SoupCourse: MainCuisine: Asian
Chicken Ramen Noodle Soup
1 lb Chicken Breast
4 cup Chicken Stock
1 inch Fresh piece of ginger
1 Bay Leaf
1 Star Anise whole
1 stick Cinnamon
1 tbsp Whole szechuan peppercorn
1 Whole Black Cardammom
2 tsp Whole Black Pepper
3 Whole cloves
1 tsp Whole cumin seeds
1 tsp Whole Fennel seeds
1⁄2 lb Fresh Ramen Noodles
1 tsp White Pepper powder
1 tbsp Vinegar
Salt to taste
2 tsp Soy Sauce
2 small Carrots (shaved)
5-6 Fresh red chili sliced
3 Green Onions (greens and whites seperated)
Handful Mint Leaves
2 Limes (quartered)
1 small Bunch Cilantro
- SZECHUAN CHILI OIL
1⁄2 cup Oil
1⁄2 cup Crushed Red Chili (chinese prefrebly)
1 Bay Leaf
1 Star Anise
1 small Stick Cinnammon
1 tbsp Sezchewan Peppercorn
1 Black Cardamom
1⁄4 tsp Ginger Powder
1⁄4 tsp sugar
1⁄4 tsp Salt
CHICKEN RAMEN NOODLE SOUP
- In an instant pot add 4 cups chicken stock, 1 lb chicken breast, ginger and all the whole spices and put it on the stock setting.
- Meanwhile boil the ramen noodles according to the package instructions. If you can’t find fresh noodles, packaged dry ramen noodles are fine as well. Drain the noodles, run them under cold water and toss them in oil and set aside.
- Prepare the veggies, peel and shave the carrots, roughly chop the cilantro, seperate the mint leaves, separate the white tops and greens of the green onion and chop them. Quarter the limes, and chop the red chili chili and set them aside.
- Once the stock is done, strain it and put it back in the instant pot and leave it on the warm setting. Season it with salt to taste, white pepper, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Seperate the chicken from the spices, wash it if need be, shred the chicken and set it aside.
- To assemble the soup, put some noodle at the bottom of a bowl, add the stock according to preference and add the toppings of choice. Top it with Szechuan Chili oil and enjoy a bowl of Ramen Chicken Noodle Soup!
- SZECHUAN CHILI OIL
- In a Heavy saucepan add the oil, to this add all the dry whole spices. Put the oil on a medium low flame for around 15 mins. The idea is to infuse the oil with spices but closely watch the oil so that it doesnt start boiling or burning the spices.
- Once oil is fragrant around 15-20 mins, turn off the flame.
- In a heat proof bowl add the crushed red chili, and immediately pour the hot oil onto the red chili through a strainer.
- Once you have added the oil, stir it with a spoon to mix it thru all the way.
- Season the oil with salt, sugar and dry ginger powder and mix well!
- Once the oil is cool, store it in an airtight glass jar and use it as needed.
- This oil is perfect for asian cooking as well!! I use it in stir fries and for dipping!!