This simple vegetable pulao is a household favorite, it cooks in under 30 minutes and can be served as a side with any curry. This recipe is very popular with young children as well, in fact my daughter loves to eat it by itself. I love to serve it at parties with a multiple curries and kebabs since it goes beautifully with everything. I adjust the spice level in the rice according to the curry I serve it with it, for instance, if I serve it with kebabs which I don’t usually don’t make spicy, I add black pepper powder to the rice for some extra flavor, but if I were to serve it with korma or tandoori chicken I skip the black pepper so the palate is balanced. This rice dish is perfect for potlucks as well. Chicken bullion powder can be skipped to make this vegetarian friendly as well, just adjust the salt in the rice when doing so. I hope you enjoy this recipe.Print Recipe
Simple Vegetable PulaoCourse: Main courseCuisine: PakistaniDifficulty: Easy
Simple vegetable pulao to serve with multiple gravies.
3 cups of basmati rice
1 cup frozen carrots and peas
3 1/2 cups of water
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tbsp roasted cumin seed powder
1/2 tbsp roasted coriander seed powder
2 tsp black pepper powder (optional)
1 bay leaf
1 black cardamom pod
1/2 inch piece cinnamon stick
2 tsp salt or to taste
1 tbsp chicken bullion powder (optional)
4 tbsp oil
- Rinse and soak the rice for 10 mins.
- In a stock pot heat oil, to this add the frozen vegetables and sauté for a minute.
- Now all all the spices and chicken bullion powder and cook for around 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add water and cover the pot until it comes to a boil.
- Drain the rice and set aside.
- Remove the cover and add the drained rice to the liquid.
- Stir gently and let it cook for around 5 to 7 minutes on medium flame.
- Once the rice has absorbed 80% of the liquid, turn down the flame to low, cover with the lid and let the rice steam until it’s cooked thru for about 10 mins.
- After 10 minutes, the rice should be cooked thru and absorbed the liquid, with the use of a rice spoon or fork fluff the rice to check.
- Enjoy with your favorite gravy.
- To make this recipe vegetarian friendly, skip the chicken bullion powder. Adjust the quantity of salt if doing so.
- Black pepper powder is optional, adding it will further enhance the flavor but will make the rice spicy.