Nihari is a slow cooked stew which originated in the Indian subcontinent. It is mainly cooked with beef shank, however, lately due to health concerns a lot of people prefer it to be cooked with chicken, mutton or lamb instead. My husband being a nihari lover would never touch nihari made with any other meat but beef, but lately due to health concerns started enjoying chicken
I am sharing a chicken nihari recipe here which is quick, easy and is done in less then 1 hour. You may choose to use less spices or reduce the amount of fat (oil and ghee) if you prefer. The homemade nihari masala recipe is my husbands since he was quiet famous amongst his friends in his single days for his nihari. Alhumdulillah to this day he can make nihari better then me. This recipe is the same one I use for my beef nihari except the fact that it cooks longer (around 6-8 hrs).
Chicken NihariCourse: Pakistani / Indian
1 Whole Skinless chicken 16 pcs
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1⁄2 cup wheat flour
1⁄2 packet nehari masala Shan
1 tbsp homemade nihari masala recipe follows
2 tbsp paprika
3 1⁄8 cups water 4 tbsp
1⁄2 cup ghee
1⁄4 cup oil
salt to taste
cilantro for garnish chopped
green chilis for serving sliced
- In a bowl mix paprika and Shan nihari masala with 4 tbsp water and make a paste
- In a bowl mix ½ cup flour with ¾ cup of water and make a smooth paste
- In a heavy bottom stock pot heat oil and ghee.
- To this add the masala paste and cook for 30 seconds.
- Now add the chicken and fry for a couple of minutes.
- At this time add your ginger garlic paste, salt to taste and 1 tbsp homemade nihari masala and fry another few minutes on a medium low flame.
- Now add 3 cups of water and let it come to a boil.
- Add this point add your wheat flour paste, stirring continuously to avoid lumps. You will notice that the oil will disappear.
- Turn down the flame to medium, cover the pot and let it simmer for 30 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked.
- At this point you will notice the oil surfacing around the rim of the pot. Your chicken nihari is now ready.
- To serve sprinkle with cilantro, sliced green chili and lime/lemon wedges.
- Enjoy with hot naan!!
- HOMEMADE NIHARI MASALA
- 3 tbsp dry ginger powder
- 10 cloves pepli
- 4-6 pcs cloves
- 1 stick cinammon
- 2 tbsp mace
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 pod star anise
- 1 pod black cardamom
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- In a pan roast all the whole spices for a few minutes until fragrant.
- When cool, grind all the spiced in a spice grinder until smooth. Now mix in the powdered spices.
- Store in a glass jar.
I m want learn cook you