Easy 30 Minute Chicken Birria TacoCourse: Main courseCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Intermediate
Mexican stewed meat stuffed inside fried tortillas.
1 lb minced chicken
2 tbsp taco seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper powder (optional)
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp lemon juice
1 jar Frontera guajillo pepper adobo sauce (substitute with any adobo sauce)
1 cup cheddar jack cheese (May substitute)
4 tbsp oil
1/2 cup water
10 corn tortillas
1/2 cup red onion finely diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Salsa of choice (optional)
Queso fresco cheese (optional)
Shredded lettuce (optional)
- In a skillet heat 2 tbsp oil, add the minced chicken.
- To this add the add 2 tbsp taco seasoning, worcestershire sauce and lemon juice. Mix well and brown the meat.
- Once the chicken starts to release the water, add half a jar of frontera guajillo sauce and mix well.
- Once the chicken is cooked thru and turns a deep red color, remove the chicken in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet add the remaining sauce and add 1/2 cup of water. Season with 1 tsp cayenne pepper if you like a little kick (optional). Once the sauce is heated thru, turn off the heat.
- Reserve half of the sauce for dipping the tacos in a bowl and keep the other half in the skillet for dipping the tortillas for frying.
- Add 2 tsp finely diced red onion and 2 tsp chopped cilantro in the reserved dipping sauce for tacos.
- Heat a skillet and add 1/2 tsp oil, then dip 2 tortillas at a time in the sauce and place it on the skillet. Make two tacos at a time for easy handling!
- Flip the tortillas 1 time and add 2 tbsp cheddar jack cheese, 2 tbsp of chicken and sprinkle with some red onion before folding it in half.
- Remove from the heat, garnish with sour cream, choice of salsa and whatever other toppings of choice. Dip the tacos in the sauce and eat fresh.