A simple long grain basmati rice pilaf cooked with chick peas and minimal spices. It is perfect for vegetarians but if you wanna kick it up a notch, use chicken stock to add a depth of flavor. This rice pilaf is ideal to serve at get togethers, it goes with kebabs and gravies but is perfect on its own. Personally we love it with some dry roasted chicken or mutton and raita. If you serve it with some fried slivered almonds and chopped parsley, I think it becomes even more royal.
Find a quick recipe tutorial on instagram reels on my page www.instagram.com/flavoredbyfatima, follow for more recipes.
Simple Chana Pulao ( Chick Pea Rice Pilaf)Course: Main courseCuisine: Pakistani/IndiaDifficulty: Easy
A fragrant basmati rice pilaf cooked with onions and chick peas and minimal spices.
2 1/2 cups long grain basmati rice
2 1/4 cup water or chicken stock
1 can of chick peas (8 oz)
2 small onions sliced
2 inch cinnamon stick
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 black cardamom pod
6-8 black pepper corn balls
1 large bay leaf
1 dry red chili
1 tsp roasted cumin powder
1 tsp roasted coriander powder
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp oil
- In a a stock pot heat oil, to this add sliced onions and fry until caramelized into a slightly dark golden brown color.
- Lower the flame, to this add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, black pepper corn, bay leaf, black cardamom pod and dry red chili and fry for 30 seconds.
- Then add the chick peas and fry for a minute.
- Season with roasted cumin and coriander power and garam masala. Stir well and immediately add 2 and 1/4 cup of water or chicken stock, season with salt and wait for it to come to a boil.
- Meanwhile wash and soak the rice.
- Once the water comes to a boil, drain the rice and add it to the stock pot.
- Once the rice has absorbed 1/2 of the liquid, it should take around 5 to 7 mins, turn down the flame and put the lid on.
- The rice will finish steam cooking for the next 8 to 10 mins.
- After 10 mins remove the lid and use a rice spatula with a light hand to separate the rice.
- Serve hot with your favorite curry or kebabs and enjoy!